Monday, October 8, 2012

Transition is Never About Just you



In an article by Meggan Sommerville, she notes that "One of the many things I never really sat down and put much thought into was how this decision would affect my parents.  I always feared how they would react, but how this would affect them, never crossed my mind." I can so relate, what about you?

I think a lot of us -- especially those now in their 40s+ years -- were so deeply hidden in the closet that we didn't have much opportunity to breath let alone think.  

When I came out, there was so much energy focused on what this was, what it meant, how to deal with it, and how to get through each day, that I couldn't think very far ahead; praying that i could simply get through the exploration of it before life interrupted me.  

It wasn't until a few years in when I was teetering on the edge of full surgical transition that I began to consider my family and extended family and the impact I would have on them.  

Read Being Transgender; a Family Transition

No comments:

Post a Comment